Many families are struggling to keep meals on their table. We all spend a lot of money on grocery shopping. The average cost for groceries per person can range anywhere from $400-$500 and up per month. Food prices are getting higher; we need to find more ways to save money on groceries. I have a few tips to help you stop spending so much at the grocery store.
There are a few easy steps you can take starting today that can substantially cut your food budget. Creating a shopping plan is the key to saving money at the register when grocery shopping. You can easily save $100 or more on your groceries by following these few simple rules.
1. 70% of your shopping should start at home. Look in your fridge and pantry to see what you already have on hand. It will help you decide what meals you should make for the week. Make a list of what basic staples you need and leave space in your budget for what you will need to buy to prepare your weekly meals.
2. Check your weekly store circulars to see what is on sale. You might find the best price for some of the items you need for your meals. If you find a good deal, you may want to pick up a few of those items if you use them often. Utilize the store app for digital coupons as well as paper coupons for extra savings.
3. Decide how many times you are going to cook during the week. It is always best to decide what your budget is before you go to the store. Create a monthly household food budget, then break that list down into a weekly household food budget. You can use a spreadsheet, calendar, or a plain sheet of paper.
4. Next, add the missing ingredients to your grocery list to avoid unnecessary spending. Your shopping list should consist mainly of the things you need to complete your meals. I would recommend that your grocery list includes all the items you need for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can utilize a grocery shopping list from your app store on your phone Listonic. You can speak or type your list on your phone to have with you for convenience. There are many other tools you can use with the app that will help you master grocery shopping.
5. Do not be afraid of buying store brand foods can save you a lot of money. Most store-brand items taste just as good as the name brand items. Most people are surprised to find out that there are a lot of people that use the less expensive items.
Following these few simple steps will help you to save approximately twenty percent off your grocery bill. Over a year, this can add up to significant savings. Begin your grocery savings plan today to get 2021 off to a great start!
Written by Felicia Gardner